Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr., who is leading a vast criminal investigation of former President Donald Trump’s business dealings, revealed in an interview published Friday that he will not seek reelection.
Vance, a Democrat first elected as district attorney of New York County in 2009, told The New Yorker’s Jane Mayer that he will not run for a fourth term this year and will instead step down on Dec. 31.
“It turned out to be tougher than I thought it would be,” Vance said of his post, adding: “There’s nothing worse than a politician who doesn’t know when to leave.”
Vance’s decision means the endgame of his office’s high-profile Trump probe will almost certainly be overseen by a new district attorney elected in November. Eight Democrats are already due to compete in the June primary.
The investigation into Trump, one of the most serious legal threats to the former president, scored a major win last month when the Supreme Court allowed Vance to access Trump’s tax returns.
A spokesperson for Vance — whose probe appears to revolve around allegations by former Trump attorney Michael Cohen regarding the manipulation of real estate valuations — confirmed last month that the district attorney’s office had received several years’ worth of the former president’s financial records.