Politico

Trump’s new executive order on immigration expected this week

Written by Lisa

The White House expects to release an executive order midweek that will replace the controversial one President Donald Trump signed last month banning individuals from certain nations from entering the U.S.

The initial order, which temporarily prohibits individuals from seven majority-Muslim nations from coming into the U.S., has not been in effect since it was stayed by a federal judge, and while the White House has refused to rescind the order, it has promised that the new order will achieve the same goals as its predecessor.

“The next order, I think we should, we should have it out probably middle of this week … and we’ll have further updates as we get through the schedule,” White House press secretary Sean Spicer said Monday at his daily press briefing.

Spicer’s latest projection for timing of the revised order comes just after a federal appeals court turned down the federal government’s request to halt briefing on an appeal related to Trump’s original directive.

The same 9th Circuit panel that refused to reinstate Trump’s original order earlier this month denied the government’s motion to stay the case but did agree to extend the briefing deadline in the case. A Justice Department brief that would have been due Friday will now be due March 10, the court’s order said.

Justice Department lawyers have asked the appeals court to vacate its earlier ruling because of Trump’s plan to issue another executive order on the same subject, but Spicer insisted Monday that the administration plans to continue to defend the first order in court.

“The president has made the commitment … to continue to defend what we did because this is the strategy – he believes we have the authority vested in the U.S. Code,” Spicer said. “Just dropping that isn’t necessarily the most prudent thing.”

Continue

About the author

Lisa

Leave a Comment